Saturday, August 07, 2004

 

Goodnight Viet Nam

My last week in Viet Nam was spent in Saigon where I experienced many quite different sides to this amazing city. I spent my days trawling the shops and internet cafe's, especially one cafe where Kim, the dymanic manager with dynamite looks, plied me with free tea and fruit as I wiled away the hours and watched the world go by on Pham Ngu Lao. In the evenings my friends Jessie and Joseph would pick me up and take me out on the town. One night we went to Karaoke where I embarassed myself singing Metallica songs. I'd do it again tho, if you think I'm crazy I promise you it's more fun than it looks. Jessie was working so usually had to go home pretty early, after which I would head to the Guns n Roses bar and play pool until the small hours with various backpackers, lounge lizzards and ladyboys (or were they?)
On my last night I had a sweet romanitc eveing with Jessie in an outdoor cafe overlooking the river. We watched the boats chugging about in the reflections of giant neon advertisments on the opposite bank. I got an early night for once and next day Jessie took me to airport where I was to take my flight to Perth. Not easy saying goodbye, I'm sure we'll stay in touch. Thanks Julie for intruducing me to J and J.
That's if from Vietnam, now I'm in Perth just getting my bearings and organising the mext leg of my trip. Half the population of this town seem to be backpackers, I'm staying in a hostel which means sharing a room with 4 other sweaty blokes, cooking my own food and drinking lots of beer. It's my birthday tomorrow and I'm dreading it - who knows what this croud have got in store, can see why some people prefer to keep quiet about such things!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?